Just dropping in to send you a code for 20% OFF Kettle and Fire Bone Broth! Click the image below!
This is an amazing episode for anyone interested in a low carb, keto diet and metabolic flexibility. Whether you are new to the lifestyle or having been following it for years, it will sure to be on of your favorites! Click below to listen.
I have to admit that doing keto and Whole 30 at the same time is challenging. It's really eliminating the dairy that makes it tough for me...however I KNOW that I feel better when I lay off most dairy (aside from butter). These lemon coconut bites are a great high fat/low carb snack that are also Whole 30 approved! I modified a recipe I found from Happy Healthy Mama.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- 2 tbls coconut oil
- Put cashews in the food processor until they are pulsed into crumbs
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until combined
- Form into balls (I usually get about 16-20 based on how big I make them)
- Store in the fridge
That's it! Seriously, so fast and easy..and delicious too!
Estimated nutrition facts based on 16 bites:
- Fat - 9.5 grams
- Protein - 2.6 grams
- Net Carbs - 4.25 grams
- Sugar - 0.62 grams
I admit I used to be a serious PSL drinker...and every time October rolls around I tell myself I'm going to create my own version of the Starbucks drink. I never did, until now. I actually went out and bought a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte to refresh myself what it actually tasted like. My initial reaction was $4.45!?!?? FOUR DOLLARS AND FORTY FIVE CENTS!? What an exorbitant amount of money. Then I tasted it. Holy cow was it SWEET. Way too sweet for my liking these days. If you follow the Ancestral Junkie philosophy of nutrition, you would think it's too sweet too. If you are new to the high fat/low carb life, rest assured this new PSL tastes pretty damn good for almost no sugar and carbs....and I promise after a few sips you won't even miss the original version.
- 1 TBLS grassfed butter
- 4 TBLS organic, full fat coconut milk*
- 1/2 TSP organic vanilla extract (Use vanilla bean powder if Whole 30) - to be honest, sometimes I just go for the vanilla extract even if I'm doing Whole 30. Shhh. Don't tell anyone.
- 1/4-1/2 TSP pumpkin pie spice**
- 1/2 TBLS organic pumpkin puree (If you don't want to go buy a whole can just for this, you could live without it)
- 1-2 TSP of sweetener (Xylitol, Stevia or Swerve); 2 tsp was plenty for me!*** (OMIT THE SWEETENER IF YOU ARE WHOLE 30)
- Organic coffee brewed to your preference (I make 16 oz thermos full with 1.5-2 tbls ground coffee)
- Brew coffee. I'm partial to my french press
- While coffee is brewing, add the rest of the ingredient into a large mason jar.
- When coffee is done, pour into the jar and blend with an immersion blender.
- If you're doing dairy, option to top with some homemade whipped cream and sprinkled cinnamon
*For a creamier version use grass-fed heavy whipping cream if you are not Whole 30/Paleo
**Made of 5 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp clove, 1/4 tsp nutmeg
***1 packet = 1 tsp; also, I prefer xylitol :)
get into ketosis in less than 60 minutes, click here!
We've been on a serious Asian food kick lately, and it's not always easy to go low carb with Asian food. There are so many noodles and sauces and a lot of times hidden sugar. Not to mention the MSG and gluten which often leaves me with a headache and feeling bloated. This chow mein recipe hit the spot and left me feeling great!
Feel free to play around with the ingredients and add/subtract as you'd like!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 pound organic chicken (or any protein you'd like to use)
- 1 onion, chopped
- A few stalks of celery, chopped into small pieces
- 3-4 eggs, scrambled
- Small piece of ginger, grated
- Liquid or Coconut Aminos (Use coconut aminos if you are following Whole 30)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bag of cole slaw mix (I use the Trader Joe's organic bag -it has shredded cabbage and carrots)
- Shredded zucchini (optional - I had this laying around and needed to use it)
- Optional: 1 tbls organic raw honey - if you're feeling a little adventurous; remember, honey is NOT Whole 30
- Cook spaghetti squash until you can pierce with a fork. I bake whole at 375 and start at 35-40 min and go from there.
- In a large cast iron skillet, I add the onion, garlic, cole slaw veggies, celery, ginger and cook in butter until softened a little. I add the zucchini at the end so it does't get mushy. If you are adding honey, throw that in with your aminos to coat the veggies.
- Cook chicken and cut into bit sizes. I usually season with salt, pepper, and maybe a little chili powder for some kick.
- Once spaghetti squash is cooked, shred with fork and put into a large bowl. Add in chicken, veggies and scrambled egg and mix together. Add additional aminos as needed.
Get into ketosis in less then 60 minutes! click here!
I got this awesome recipe for homemade almond milk from my friend Jenna! I'm all about organic, whole food recipes that are also EASY and inexpensive, and this one definitely fits that. :)
- Soak 1 cup raw almonds overnight in water
- Blend the almonds with 4 cups (32 oz) water, 1 teaspoon organic vanilla and 1-2 organic pitted dates. (I omitted the dates to cut back on some sugar, and it's still delicious!). I have a BlendTek, so if you don't have that or a Vitamix, or another high powered blender, I can't promise what will happen! **This is NOT Whole 30 because of the vanilla**
- Strain the contents through a nut bag and store in a glass jar.
Seriously, that's it! I've been making this for a few weeks now to use in my smoothies and it takes me less than 10 minutes.
Get into ketosis in less then 60 minutes! click here!
We just tried out Keto Carne beef jerky and it is SO delicious! It really appealed to us since the only ingredients are beef, water and seasonings. There is 0 sugar and 0 carbs which makes the keto side of us very happy! Order yourself a bag and let us know what you think!