About 7 weeks post partum I got mastitis. I had heard about how awful it was and I was so sure I wouldn't get it. I made sure to massage my boobs often for the first several weeks, and then I got a little lazy. I went to bed one night feeling a little sore, so I put a heating pad on my boob. The next morning I woke up and felt a little flu-like and in more pain. I immediately texted my midwife, Lauren (Wholistic Women's HealthCare) because I knew she would know what to do! She gave me the following protocol and told me that she hardly ever has to prescribe antibiotics anymore. I followed this protocol for 1 day and it completely knocked it out. I felt SO much better the next morning and continued to rest a second day as a precaution.
- REST. Get in bed and do NOT get out. Unless you have to pee. Seriously. This is non-negotiable.
- Drink as much water as humanly possible. If you have grapefruit seed extract, put a drop in a glass of water.
- Eat raw garlic. I ate a few cloves over the course of the entire day. I chopped it up into tiny pieces and swallowed them like tiny pills so I wouldn't have to taste it.
- Take 5,000-7,000 mg of Vitamin C. Go slow. I took 7,000 mg over the course of the day. If you take too much it can cause you to run to the restroom.
- Put heat on the affected breast and massage.
- Nurse on the affected breast as much as possible and keep it empty. I also used a hand pump to keep it empty.
- Do as much skin to skin with baby as you can.
This completely saved me! I really wanted to avoid antibiotics and this combination of things literally cleared it up in one day. If you find yourself with a case of mastitis, give it a try!